Whether you are new to the idea of anti-racist work or you just want to learn more, this class is a space to grow.
Each of the 14 sessions is designed for beginners and covers the history and realities of racism in the United States, as well as the impact of racism on contemporary issues like housing, education, medicine, criminal justice, and nutrition. Instructors will explain and explore crucial concepts like privilege and intersectionality.
Finally, the course will discuss ways everyone can become better anti-racist allies and advocates. This is a meaningful and substantial curriculum that we are proud to offer to all participants at no cost.
Participate live online: Mondays at 5pm PST / 8pm EST (Zoom link will be provided)
Watch later: Videos will be posted after the session each week so you can participate at your own pace.
Discuss: The class has a dedicated Facebook group available available for participants to process course content with peers.
- Tychelle Graham, social worker, anti-racist educator
- Jojo Murdock, speaker, educational specialist, foster care justice advocate
- Silas Morgan, professor of religion
- Melody Stanford Martin, author, social ethicist
- Grow in awareness of the realities of racism
- Gain knowledge of the history and construction of systemic racism
- Decenter white normativity, contextualize social locations
- Understand the role of core beliefs and language
- Learn tools for critical dialogue and self-education on the path to being a better advocate
LIVE Mondays at 5pm PST / 8pm EST (Zoom link will be provided each week)
Watch later Videos of session will be posted each week.
|1||Intro||July 13||What is racism? An introduction to this course|
|2||History||July 20||History of racism: 1600’s – pre-Civil Rights|
|3||Issues||July 27||Where is racism in our economy, housing, and education?|
|4||Issues||August 3||Where is racism in our justice system?|
|5||Issues||August 10||Where is racism in our food, nutrition, and medicine?|
|6||Concepts||August 17||How does racism operate inside core beliefs and stereotypes?|
|7||History||August 24||History of racism: Civil Rights – today|
|8||Concepts||Sep 14||What is whiteness?|
|9||Concepts||Sep 21||What is intersectionality?|
|10||Concepts||Sep 28||What is privilege?|
|11||Concepts||Oct 5||What are the “masks of domination” (fragility, benevolence, othering, tokenizing, gaslighting, anonymity)?|
|12||Concepts||Oct 12||What is generational trauma?|
|13||Action||Oct 19||What is anti-racist work?|
|14||Action||Oct 26||What is an ally? What is an advocate? What is an accomplice?|
Please review the community guidelines before enrolling in the course.