Welcome to “Anti-Racism for Beginners,” thank you for joining us. For a full course description and information, please check the Materials tab above. The lessons were filmed in July – October 2020.
Your instructors are:
Whether you are new to the idea of anti-racist work or you just want to learn more, this class is a space to grow.
Each of the 14 sessions is designed for beginners and covers the history and realities of racism in the United States, as well as the impact of racism on contemporary issues like housing, education, medicine, criminal justice, and nutrition. Instructors will explain and explore crucial concepts like privilege and intersectionality.
Finally, the course will discuss ways everyone can become better anti-racist allies and advocates. This is a meaningful and substantial curriculum that we are proud to offer to all participants at no cost.
- Tychelle Graham, social worker, anti-racist educator
- Silas Morgan, professor of religion
- Melody Stanford Martin, author, social ethicist
- Grow in awareness of the realities of racism
- Gain knowledge of the history and construction of systemic racism
- Decenter white normativity, contextualize social locations
- Understand the role of core beliefs and language
- Learn tools for critical dialogue and self-education on the path to being a better advocate
|1||Intro||What is racism? An introduction to this course|
|2||History||History of racism: 1600's - pre-Civil Rights|
|3||Issues||Where is racism in our economy, housing, and education?|
|4||Issues||Where is racism in our justice system?|
|5||Issues||Where is racism in our food, nutrition, and medicine?|
|6||Concepts||How does racism operate inside core beliefs and stereotypes?|
|7||History||History of racism: Civil Rights - today|
|8||Concepts||What is whiteness?|
|9||Concepts||What is intersectionality?|
|10||Concepts||What is privilege?|
|11||Concepts||What are the "masks of domination" (fragility, benevolence, othering, tokenizing, gaslighting, anonymity)?|
|12||Concepts||What is generational trauma?|
|13||Action||What is anti-racist work|
|14||Action||What is an ally? What is an advocate? What is an accomplice?|